Saturday, June 15, 2013

14 days in Korea - Shopping in Seoul

Hello everyone!

Before I blog about my shopping experience in Seoul, you may want to read about my post in Busan as well as Jeju Part I and Part II (or later? :P ). I hope it gives you a better idea of where to visit! :) 

From Jeju Domestic Airport, we took a domestic flight by Eastar Jet and flew to Gimpo Airport in Seoul. We had about 8 full days to spend in Seoul so we took things really slowly.

Upon arrival at Gimpo Airport, we had to take a subway to Myeongdong station where our hotel was located at. Before doing so, purchase your T-money travel card from this convenience store called GS25 at the airport. The T-money card by itself cost 3000 won, so you need to top up money at either GS25 or at the Automated Travel Card Recharging Machine installed in the subway stations. It's so easy to use the machine until we even select Korean as the language!


T-money travel card can be purchase at GS25.

The hotel that we were staying in was very near Myeongdong shopping area. In my opinion, the best place to shop for skincare has to be Myeongdong! 


Myeongdong Shopping Street

Alight at Myeongdong station and exit 6. Immediately you will see this bustling shopping district with countless of shops and restaurants. What I love about this place is that any Korean cosmetic brand you can think of, you will be able to find it in Myeongdong. 

And for the convenience of international shoppers, they have sales girls who can speak in both Mandarin and English. So if you had a question about the product, don't hesitate to ask them!



Myeongdong shopping street.

Some of the Korean brands you can find are: Etude House, The Face Shop, Nature Republic, Tony Moly, Holika Holika, Missha and Laneige. I bought at least one skincare product from each of them! Will be doing a review on the products I bought soon. :D


Shops in Myeongdong.


Ewha Women's University, Sinchon & Hongdae
In Seoul, Ewha Women's Universiy is probably the best place to shop for clothes and shoes. Because of its location near the university, shopping and food was made more affordable. Prices range from 5000 won (SGD $5.70) to 10,000 won (SGD $11.30). This area is full of shops all aimed at women so it wasn't a very good shopping area for the guys.


Ewha Women's University Fashion Street

To get to Ewha Women's University Fashion street, take subway line 2 to Ewha Station and exit 2 or 3. Walk straight out and you will be able to see many fashion shops along the street. After shopping in Ewha for some time, you may already find yourself walking in Sinchon shopping district. 


From Sinchon, we walked to Hongdae using google maps, but it wasn't easy because there was limited Wi-Fi signal as we walked. Take a subway if you would like to get to Hongdae! But bear in mind that the prices in Hongdae are much more expensive. The same top I saw in Ewha cost 5000 won, but it cost 8000 won in Hongdae.



Ewha Women's University Fashion Street

Not forgetting to grab some street food as well.
Piping hot Cinnamon pancake!
My favourite & most expensive buy from Ewha.
It's handmade and cost SGD $55. Please last long!
Sweet potato pizza for dinner in Hongdae.


Dongdaemun Night Market 

For the guys, their favourite place to shop has to be Dongdaemun night market. Their malls are quite similar to our Far East Plaza but clothes for the ladies were expensive. Go during the night (starts around 9pm to 3am), because that's the time when wholesale starts! One of the best mall to visit is Hello apM. Bf bought several long sleeve shirts and pants from Hello apM at good prices, but bargaining was a little hard. :/

To get here, Take subway line 2 to Dongdaemun History & Culture Park station and exit 2 or 14.


Hello apM at Dongdaemun night market.

If you're feeling hungry from the night shopping, there are lots of street food to choose from in Dongdaemun. One of my favourite street food was the Fish cake skewers! Just stand around the steaming hot pot and scoop some soup into the disposable cup provided. Dip the fish cake skewer into the soup and add some soya sauce. It has a peppery taste to it and I love it so much! One stick cost around SGD $1.


Because it's so delicious, I forgot to take a photo of it. :( So, here's a photo of how it look like.


Fish cake skewers.


Another of the crowd's favourite is the Kimbap. It is similar to the Japanese sushi that consist of rice and wrapped with seaweed. However, I find the Korean version more fragrant due to it's sesame oil. There are many fillings to choose from as well, for example, kimchi, cheese, octopus, and fish egg. One roll of kimbap cost SGD 60 cents.


Kimbap.
Ddeokbokki. So chewy and spicy!


Lotte Mart
Lotte mart is a must-go-place in Seoul! It is similar to our Singapore's Giant and NTUC selling groceries, electronics and clothes, but Lotte Mart is even better I promise. Alight at Seoul Station and exit 1. 

Shopping for tibits can be such an enjoyable experience in Lotte mart! You don't get that kick in Singapore to shop for tibits. Bf and I bought so much tibits until the combined cost was around SGD $140. In case you are worrying about bringing them back to Singapore, fret not! They have self-service stations whereby you pack the tibits in using the boxes provided. In short, choose a good sturdy box, fold it, tape the base securely, put in your tibits and tape it again. 



The happy me with 9kg of tibits!
My top 3 favourite buys from Lotte Mart. They are a must-buy!
.
.
.

Shall also review the two hotels I stayed in Seoul. Scroll down! 



Reviews for Myeongdong Dream Hotel

The first hotel we stayed in was Myeongdong Dream house. It was a nightmare for us. Luckily we only had to stay there for 4 nights and then changed to another hotel for another 4 nights. Will not recommend this hotel to anyone. 

First of all, there was no lift. We had to carry our heavy luggages up to the 4th storey. Secondly, the room I had was the worst. There was no basin and because the room was located at the outer edge of the hotel, the ceiling was slanted and low and we had to squat brushing our teeth on the floor! Thirdly, there was bloodstain on the bedsheet. YES! SUPER GROSS! 


The kindhearted me, decided to give them another chance, hoping that the next morning room cleaning, they would change the bed sheet. But they didn't (I should have expected that), and we had to continue seeing that blood-stained bed sheet for 4 days. Room was dusty as well. Worst still, my friends' rooms had bugs and cockroaches in the middle of the night. -.-




I'll rate this hotel a 2 out of 5. The only good reason to stay in this hotel is the short walking distance to Myeongdong shopping area and Seoul Namsan Tower.  




Reviews for Hotel FA2
Hotel FA2 is one of the best hotel I ever stayed! The ladyboss gave us free upgrade to deluxe room when we paid by cash. Yay! The room was comfortable and it gives a very warm feeling when we stepped in. It was like living in heaven if you compare to Myeongdong Dream Hotel. Hotel FA2 is a little pricey than Myeongdong Dream House, but definitely worth staying.


The lobby outside
Hotel FA2 room.

To get here, we took a taxi and they had a hard time locating this hotel despite using a GPS. Turned out that this hotel is actually Hotel FA without the '2' behind. This hotel is located near Jeji-dong substation. Not very accessible I would say but this hotel provides such great service I must recommend!

Address : 844-2 Jegi-Dong, Dongdaemun-Gu, Dongdaemun-Gu
The hotel dog Ruki. It's super small and cute!
Another reason for coming back.


At night, we asked the ladyboss to help us order Jajangmyeon delivery. After you are done with the eating, just wrapped everything in the table cloth provided and place it outside the hotel. The restaurant people will collect the bowls on the next day. It only cost 5000 won (SGD $6) for such a large serving of jajangmyeong. 

Jajangmyeon delivery at Hotel FA2.
.
.
.

That's it for my shopping in Seoul! Another tip to remember is to get your tax refund form when you purchase 30,000 won or more in retail shops such as Myeongdong and Dongdaemun areas. Participating shops are designated by the "Global Blue TAX FREE" or "Global TAXFREE" logo.



  1. Fill in all the necessary particulars on the tax refund forms. Do it the night before instead of writing at the counter to save time.
  2. At the airport, look for the Tax Refund Counter and get a chop on the tax refund forms before checking-in your luggage. 
  3. After going through the customs, proceed to the Refund Counter on the departure floor to get your cash refund.

The next entry will be the my last post in Seoul. Please stay with me! :D  Lots of food photos and Everland themepark photos to share. 

Love,

Chikumama

126 comments:

  1. Hi.. was planning for a trip to Korea next year and happened to visit your blog. :) sooo detailed.
    just to check, are you able to share with me your Korea itinerary? :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I do have a Korea itinerary, but it may not be very detailed cos' we made several changes last minute. If you don't mind, please drop me an email and I can send it to you. :)

      Delete
    2. can you please send me ur itinerary too?icola_97@hotmail.com

      Delete
    3. Hi, can you send to me your itinerary too? Sutrisno_tan@hotmail.com

      Delete
    4. hi, can you share you itinerary with me? basketball_lover251288@hotmail.com

      Delete
    5. Hi ! I find your blog post seems very useful for me. I'm going Korea in 2 weeks time. Do u mind sharing your iternary ? adillah_1996@hotmail.com
      Can i know estimated won should i put aside for shopping ?

      Delete
  2. Hi,

    This post shares quite useful tips. Would you be able to share itinerary as well. It's gonna be a 1st time for me.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqueline,

      Sure! Please leave me your email address. :)

      Delete
    2. Hi please share your itinerary with me. Here is my email: kcagoncillo@gmail.com Thank you! :))) You have a very nice blog. :)

      Delete
    3. Hi pls help to send me your itinerary at yongchew.chua@yahoo.com.sg.
      Thanks

      Delete
  3. HI , love the posts you shared. can share your itinerary with me as well? As my first time there.
    Is there any prepaid card that i can purchase at the airport so that i have 3G access?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Do drop me your email. I can send it to you. :)

      I'm not too sure about the prepaid card because I didn't purchase it when I was in Korea. So sorry about it!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your replied.

      My email address: miss.liping@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Hi Liping,

      I have sent you my Korea itinerary! Please use this as a rough guide as we made several changes last minute in Korea. Do have fun!

      Delete
  4. Hi, would appreciate it if you send me your itinerary too! Is it inclusive of Busan and Jeju? :) acidicbases@gmail.com Thinking of doing free and easy in Korea this hols and I'm sure this would be very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I have just dropped you an email. :) and yes, it includes Busan and Jeju. Please use my itinerary as a rough guide.

      Delete
  5. hello there! this is a useful tips for me since I'm going for an educational trip to korea on March 2014 :) Can you give more details on where the place to shop at the cheapest price. And shop for coolest stuffs too. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You may want to shop at Ewha Women's University first. It is so far the cheapest shopping place in Seoul for clothes. As for the coolest stuff, I'm not too sure. Hahaha, Maybe walk around Myeongdong shopping area and you may find some treasures.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Riyon. Can you send me your itinerary too? ruiyi_93@hotmail.com Thank you! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I have sent you my Korea itinerary. :)

      Delete
  7. me too!!
    yy0825@hotmail.com
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I have sent you my Korea itinerary. :)

      Delete
  8. Can i have yours itinerary as well?
    Thanks a lot
    fuili2002@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Riyon, can I have your itinerary as well? Jus book a ticket to korea today and haven plan anything. T.T here's my email: taneugenia@hotmail.com
    Thank youuj!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, would appreciate it if you send me your itinerary too! my e-mail address angeline1007@gmail.com
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Riyon, I would be planning at trip to korea (Seoul, busan, Jeju) april 2014. Sincerely appreciate if you could share with me your itinerary. Email address: brightsparkz@hotmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hihi, was looking at your blog and so tempted to go.
    Mind sharing ur korea itinerary?

    TIA :)
    Email: colourfull333@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Just read your post and I'm so tempted to go. But before that, do you mind sharing your Korea Itinerary? Thanks a lot!
    Email: teoweechian@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Im going to Korea in May,

    Please do send and share your itinerary with me!.
    Thanks alot!:D
    qtanqiuhua@yahoo.com.sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I have just sent you the itinerary. :)

      Delete
  15. Hi, Im going to Korea in May,

    Please do share your itinerary with me!.
    Thanks
    kellycheung33@hotmail.com.sg

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Riyon, can you please share your itinerary with me too? I'm going to Seoul in March. Thank you..
    Marcheighteen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! Do you mind sending me your itinerary too? Thank you so much. Here's my email: sylviatan94@gmail.com

    Once again, thank you in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HiHi total impressed with ur korea blog.
    Great guide for my upcoming march trip
    Please kindly send a copy too
    medris00@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi! Can I have a copy of your itinerary as well? :)
    angelakua@gmail.com
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi. Came across your blog and I will be going to Korea this coming April. Would you mind to share your itinerary. My email addr is lwho15@hotmail.com many thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! could i have a copy of your itinerary as well? it will be my first time visiting korea free-and-easy this june. leeehuiqing@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi hope u don't mind send me your itinerary too to my email lh_yap@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, can you please send me your itinerary as well to ila.lanaeira@gmail.com ? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, could you send a copy of your itinerary at pauline.boey@hotmail.co.uk?
    Thanks ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, don't mind can send me your korea itinerary to me?

    ginahww@gmail.com

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi there! Came across your blog & found it very helpful as to guide me on my upcoming visit to Korea. Appreciate if you're able to share your itinerary with me at chelseasng[@]hotmail.com
    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi hi, can I also request for your itinerary please to funkytan@gmail.com? Thanks alot babe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi, Im going Korea in April..Can you share ur itinerary with me?
    beekin68@hotmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Hi!! I'm going seoul in april! Can share with me your itinerary too!! Thank you !!!
    email me at miissy.jo@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! Can you share your korea itinerary with me? My email is uma_28@hotmail.com Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello there! i think i have been "stalking" your blog for few times now, listing down places to go and YES i enjoy reading all your post. I'm heading to Korea soon and with the limited time i have, i think i would need your help. Mind sharing your Korea Itinerary too? my email: cavogue85@gmail.com. Thanks in advanced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for stalking! Just sent you! :)

      Delete
  32. Hi.. care to share your itinerary with me. My email is sherrywong02@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, can you also share your itinerary with me? I plan to go to Korea next month and have no clue where to go so far. Email: sekarrahman@yahoo.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Just sent! :) I hope is not too late. :(

      Delete
  34. hi,do you mind to share your itinerary with me?my email is ibgshima@gmail.com. many thanks:) <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, do you mind to share your itinerary v me? My email address is xueyingl91@hotmail.com
    Thx a lot^^

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, I will be traveling to seoul and jeju next month. Mind to share your itinerary to me at kklee1985@yahoo.com.sg ? Thank.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello could you email me your itinerary as well please @ tan.mh.agnes@gmail.com
    Your posts are really lovely and detailed! Eagerly anticipating my trip in june now! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, could you email me your itinerary for seoul and jeju as well @ kendra-sss@live.com.sg. Thank you!��

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, could you email me your itinerary for seoul and jeju as well @ kendra-sss@live.com.sg. Thank you!��

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi, i chanced upon your blog while searching for places to go in korea and i really like your posts about it! (: can you send me your itinerary for seoul, busan and jeju as i will be going over to korea next month. thanks babe ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi, i chanced upon your blog while searching for places to go in korea and i really like your posts about it! (: can you send me your itinerary for seoul, busan and jeju at faithiice@hotmail.com as i will be going over to korea next month. thanks babe ! (:

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi, would like to have ur itinerary also!!! lliewflorence@gmail.com!!! :P Many thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Sweetie, I'm planning to go korea this September . As this is my virgin trip to Korea, appreciate if you could provide me your itinerary for my reference. You photos are so beautiful and the information you shared is so useful. Hee. My email address is : peechgal@hotmail.com. Hope to receive your reply! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind comment! Just sent to you!

      Delete
  44. hello! can i have your itinerary too? bet its gonna be of great help for my planning! jesssieee.chia@hotmail.com. thanksss

    ReplyDelete
  45. hello! thank you for all your helpful posts! would like to have your itinerary too!! tyylove@gmail.com thank youuuu :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hihi.. can I have your itinerary too? Love your post :)
    lovelaces0111@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Hello, maybe you could share to me your itinerary too, thanks in advance! :) my email add is seventhcorner@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  49. hi with the whole tax refund thing when i present it to the counter do i have to show what i brought

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You don't have to show what you bought. :)

      Delete
  50. Hi can I have your itinerary? Your posts are so interesting :) I hav nv travel to Korea and I can't speak it too! Need a guide for me and my bf :)

    My email : jv150112@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi! Chanced uponed your blog when i am researching for my 14days honeymoon trip.
    I m really interested in your itinerary for Busan and jeju. can you share the itineary? and what are the must eat there?

    email: jesslyn.alt@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have emailed you! I can't really remember what are the must-eat already. Just eat anything you see! Too much good food. :D

      Delete
  52. hi.. can check with you if u check in ur snacks or EMS them back to sg? did they arrive sg in good condition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check-in my snacks in boxes provided by the Lotte Mart. Everything was intact and fine!

      Delete
  53. Hi Riyon,
    I am going to Korea on a 2week business trip on 15th of this month for the first time.so cud you plz send me your itinerary so I can use it as reference...it wud be super cool if u cud suggest me the kind of clothes I will be needing this time of the month..
    dkdipti99@gmail.com
    Thnx ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Just sent the itinerary to you! You can check out Korea weather via this link --> http://www.accuweather.com/en/kr/seoul/226081/september-weather/226081

      Delete
  54. hi Riyon,

    Im planning to go to seoul. Can you share your itinerary with me? My email address: keshia_lim@hotmail.com Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. hi riyon!

    im going to korea for 14 days too! love ur blog post! Can share your itinerary with me? My email add is csky18@hotmail.com. Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  56. hi pretty,
    love ur post.. especially the shopping part hehe
    can you pls share your itinerary with me for korea? :) not sure where to go yet, for sure will go seol n jeju but not sure should i go Busan if i hv just 12 days11n in total?
    appreciate it a lot ya!
    my email: joylpf@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just sent it to you! I will make a trip down to Busan if I have 12 days. haha

      Delete
  57. Hi, I found it interesting to read your Korea tour, do you mind sharing the itinerary with me? My email is denzerlim@gmail.com. Thanks in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hi, I'm going to Korea on Beg. of Oct. Could you pls share your itinerary with me?
    My email is peiboon84@hotmail.com
    Thank you in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Hi there, I will be going with my girlfriend to Jeju and Seoul for a combined 7 days.. Can you please share your itinerary with me too? My email is alfalfa17@gmail.com. Thank you!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  60. really sorry to trouble you. would you mind share your itinerary with me? amytngqy@gmail.com
    THANKS dear ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  61. hi can i have your itinerary too? ;) oandgly@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Hello there! could you send me your itinerary too? 31catss@gmail.com THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi, can you send me yr itinerary too? Kfan96@gmail.com tks:) btw, i plan on gg next yr round april or may, is it a gd timing?

    ReplyDelete
  64. Hi, can you send me ur itinerary too? atsc8103122@hotmail.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Hi! Could you send me your itinerary as well? :) So sorry for the trouble. I'm heading there in Jan and am planning my way around :) rachelreneelim@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  66. Hihi kindly share you itinerary with me, as I will be going over Busan & Seoul in nx 2 wks. simnn35@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hihi Hui Maan, have sent you an email with regards to korea itinerary, please check and thanks for your help!!

    ReplyDelete